Sponsored Research Analyst
Sponsored Research Analyst
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
VAI is currently hiring a sponsored research administrator (VAI title is: Sponsored Research Analyst). In this position, you will join the Office of Sponsored Research team where you will be responsible for providing cradle-to-grave administration of a complex sponsored research portfolio for interdisciplinary researchers and labs.
Your key responsibilities:
- Serve as the initial point-of-contact for assigned investigators and labs on all sponsored project related matters
- Work closely with investigators to develop and prepare budget and administrative sections of proposals, and review awards and other agreements for compliance issues
- Process actions related to proposal submission and award activity to ensure accurate and timely administration of sponsored projects, and that actions are consistent with applicable laws, regulations, sponsor requirements and Institute policies and procedures
- Partner with sponsors to facilitate the exchange of information and resolve problems
- Manage project sub-awards as needed
- Assist investigators with the identification of external funding sources for sponsored research activities
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Outstanding customer support, poise, tact and diplomacy
- Meticulously detail-oriented and highly organized
- Capable of working independently and a commitment to being part of a team
- Flexible and adaptable in a continuously evolving operational environment
- Eager to continue growing, learning and developing professionally
To be a successful member of our team, we will measure performance in the following areas:
- Customer satisfaction and collaboration – you embrace a philosophy that everyone is a customer, including peers and teammates
- Initiative and ownership – you are a self-starter and are responsible for the quality and accuracy of your work
- Problem solving and resourcefulness – you demonstrate creative critical thinking and exercise good judgement and intuition
- Timeliness – you thrive in a deadline-driven environment
The experience/skills you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 3+ years experience in sponsored research administration or a related business field with preference for experience in an academic or biomedical research environment
- Working knowledge of the Uniform Guidance, Federal Acquisition Regulations, NIH policies and procedures, and other regulations governing sponsored project administration
- Experience with a complex regulatory environment and the ability to research and distill specialized information
- Sub-recipient monitoring on sponsored projects
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
What you’ll like most about working at Van Andel Institute:
- Your work will make a difference in the future of human health and science education
- You will be surrounded by driven, hardworking scientists and professionals
- New opportunities and challenges are always arising
- The Institute and department offer several fun, team-building events, creating a community
- The opportunity to learn new perspectives and share yours in a diverse, collaborative environment
Compensation and Benefits
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective day one! The competitive salary you can expect as a Sponsored Research Analyst is based on your experience and skills.
Your next steps
This is just a quick preview of the role. If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! We encourage you to Apply Today!
To apply please submit:
- Online Application
- Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals.
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.