HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking an Lab Planner to join our team. As a Lab Planner, you are responsible for assisting the laboratory project planning effort toward the successful completion of complex technology facilities; provides overall programming, master planning, lab design planning; communicates with clients/user groups to understand project requirements.
- Provides advanced technical knowledge in the laboratory planning and programming of various-sized pharmaceutical, academic research, biotech, or other emerging technical facilities.
- Provides technical planning expertise and leadership for laboratory facilities in the areas of programming, design, fit-out planning, equipment planning, MEP systems integration planning casework specification and construction administration
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, may participate in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with existing and potential clients. Participates in selected marketing and business development opportunities.
- Actively seeks new knowledge in the design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Participates actively in the firm-wide Science + Technology Market within HOK.
- Assures HOK document standards are met and archives documents appropriately.
- Actively participates in industry associations to ensure visibility.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a culture of external and internal client service.
- Participates in user group meetings (heads of departments, specialists, etc.) to collect program needs for laboratory specifications in technical facilities.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of clients’ program requirements and standards and policies for completion.
- Assists in the design development, modification and/or review of laboratory planning concepts and solutions.
- Assists in developing project scope, plan, and services during the contract process. Translates planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members.
- Assists in establishing overall project budgets and milestone schedules in coordination with project managers, architect and project engineers.
- Communicates planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports.
- Develops architectural drawings and specifications to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction.
- Prepares and modifies architectural documents, elevations, sections, details, etc.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Applies proper QA/QC methods throughout project. May lead this effort.
- May lead periodic project meetings and presentations; ensure client is adequately briefed on project progress.
- Assists in the development of standard materials that describe the portfolio, systems, processes and people of the Science + Technology Group.
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- May prepare 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and build models for client/project team review.
- Demonstrates creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements for laboratory design.
- Knowledge of laboratory programming delivery and how design impacts those systems –including space, operational, and equipment programming, as well as MEP systems and casework.
- Knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost control for lab facilities.
- Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Possess strong hand and advanced CAD drafting skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit or other BIM platform preferred.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to convey laboratory planning needs to designers and other team members.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required, laboratory design certification preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 years’ experience focused on programming and planning of all phases of a variety of laboratory types such as: vivarium, bio-containment, research, teaching (science), pharmaceutical, public health, clinical, process and manufacturing facilities.
- Architecture license preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.