Postdoctoral Fellow - Alpha-Synuclein Pathogenicity - Ma Lab
The Ma Laboratory aims to elucidate the pathogenic mechanism of misfolded proteins in neurodegenerative diseases and develop therapeutic strategies. Currently, the lab is studying two late age onset neurodegenerative diseases, prion disease and Parkinson’s disease, with a wide range of approaches, from in vitro biochemical studies with recombinant proteins to in vivo analyses in animal models.
This postdoctoral position is available IMMEDIATELY and is for a motivated scientist who meets the qualifications and description outlined below. The project will focus on the cellular and molecular biological mechanism of neurodegeneration caused by misfolded alpha synuclein.
- A Ph.D or equivalent degree in biomedicine or related studies;
- Knowledge of neurodegenerative disease animal models, protein biochemistry, mitochondria biology, or immunology would be an asset.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit excellent research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project.
- A detail-oriented researcher that thinks critically and creatively to design experiments and solve complex research problems.
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VARI under the mentorship of a VARI Faculty member.
Postdoctoral Fellows at VARI are full-time employees and receive an annual salary. Salary is based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $50,500 up to a maximum of $56,000. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and address of three references.
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Eric Miller at email@example.com.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.