Van Andel Research Institute -VARI Faculty Position in Metabolic and Nutritional Programming
VARI Faculty Position in Metabolic and Nutritional Programming
Assistant, Associate, or Professor
In September 2018, Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) launched a new research program in Metabolic and Nutritional Programming (MNP). This new initiative bridges multiple fields including metabolism, nutrition, epigenetics, and immunology with the goal of improving health through prediction, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. The MNP program is composed of six (6) faculty and their labs (see https://vari.vai.org/research-groups/) who are experts in a variety of fields including cancer metabolism, immunometabolism, and epigenetic and intergenerational control of metabolic state.
To continue gravitational pull in metabolism research to West Michigan, VARI is seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join the MNP faculty at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor.
Van Andel Institute (VAI) is an independent nonprofit biomedical research and science education organization committed to improving the health and enhancing the lives of current and future generations. Established by Jay and Betty Van Andel in 1996 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, VAI has grown into a premier research and educational institution that supports the work of more than 400 scientists, educators and staff. Van Andel Research Institute (VARI), VAI’s research division, is dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases and translating those findings into effective therapies. Scientists in MNP collaborate with colleagues across the institute with expertise in structural biology, skeletal disease and cancer therapeutics, epigenetics, and neurodegenerative diseases. The Institute’s scientists work in onsite laboratories and participate in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We welcome applications from scientists with a strong background in organismal or cellular metabolism and/or metabolomics with innovative interfaces between metabolism and cancer biology, immunology, neurodegeneration, epigenetics, skeletal diseases and sarcoma, or structural biology and imaging.
Areas of particular interest include:
- studies at the interface of nutrition and epigenetics
- studies at the interface of obesity, the microbiome and metabolic state
- metabolic interactions with epigenetic regulators
- mitochondrial biology
- computational approaches to study metabolic networks
Scientists whose work interfaces with novel technologies are encouraged to apply.
As an Assistant Professor, you must be an exceptional, early career-scientist who would flourish in and enrich VARI’s research environment. You will be expected to develop a state-of-the-art, innovative, independently-funded and internationally recognized research program.
As an Associate or Full Professor you will be an internationally recognized leader in your area of focus, have active extramural funding, and will further develop your distinguished research program.
Individuals will be evaluated upon the following criteria:
- A relevant Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree
- Postdoctoral training
- Peer-reviewed publication record
- A strong record of research accomplishments
All faculty at VARI receive a very competitive research support package including:
- Start-up funding
- 100% internal support for faculty member salary and benefits
- Generous supplemental laboratory funding
- Dedicated administrative support
- Van Andel Institute Graduate School, housed within Van Andel Research Institute, develops biomedical research leaders through a Ph.D. program which prepares students for doctoral research in molecular and cellular biology.
- Faculty within VARI are also supported by our Core Technologies and Services. Our core services include; Bioinformatics and Biostatistics• Optical Imaging • Cryo-EM• Flow Cytometry• Genomics• Pathology and Biorepository• Vivarium and Transgenics
To apply for a faculty opening please submit the following:
- cover letter highlighting key qualifications and fit within the Institute
- current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography
- names and contact information of three references
- a one- or two-page research statement and a list of three publications that best epitomize your expertise and scientific goals
APPLY BY VISITING
Please direct questions about these Faculty open positions to Eric Miller, B.S., Talent Acquisition Manager at Eric.Miller@VAI.org
Application reviews will begin in February 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.