Research Technician - Moore Lab
Research Technician – Moore Lab
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The laboratory of Dr. Darren Moore is seeking to hire a full-time Research Technician to be a key part of our research team. The research focus of our lab explores the molecular and cellular mechanisms of neurodegeneration in inherited forms of Parkinson’s disease. Work in the laboratory on various disease-linked proteins is conducted across multiple levels, including in vitro assays, yeast, primary neuronal/astrocyte cultures, mammalian cell lines, C.elegans, Drosophila, and rodent models.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in biological sciences, focusing on neuroscience, biochemistry, cell biology and/or molecular biology, or related biomedical fields
- 2 years of hands on biology-related experience at the lab bench
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- A hardworking individual who is able to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience working with rodents would be desirable
- Experience of preparing rodent primary cultures would be an asset
- Experience working with standard molecular and cell biology techniques would be desirable
- Knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology and/or neuroscience would be an asset
- Working with rodent models (i.e. stereotactic surgery, behavioral analyses)
- Maintaining mouse colonies (i.e. genotyping, breeding, tissue collection, cohort maintenance)
- Tissue culture experience (i.e. primary cultures, cell lines, transfection, viral transduction)
- Histology, immunohistochemistry and neuropathology, stereological and confocal microscopy
- Molecular and cell biology (i.e. plasmid cloning, viral vector production, Western blotting)
- General lab maintenance
HOW TO APPLY: https://bit.ly/2EbW7q0
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF file containing the following items:
- A brief cover letter outlining your research experience and interests, and you might contribute to the Moore Lab.
- A recent Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals and their contact details who have agreed to act as references.
Inquiries and questions can be directed to: email@example.com
This position will be open until filled. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.