Manager of Sponsored Research
Manager of Sponsored Research
The Van Andel Institute (VAI) is a non-profit agile biomedical research and education organization that unleashes innovation to multiply impact. VAI collaborates around the world to advance bold ideas in biomedicine and education. With a staff of more than 400 and a growing network of partners, VAI studies the origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases and translates its finding into breakthrough prevention and treatment strategies to improve human health.
We are currently hiring a Manager of Sponsored Research to join the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR). This position will report to the Director of the Office of Sponsored Research.
Your key responsibilities:
- Supervise team of Sponsored Research Analysts including hiring, performance management, developing and implementing individual training and development plans and mentoring
- Oversee effort reporting procedures to ensure efficient and accurate completion, and work with OSR Director to educate staff on the requirements for effort reporting
- Manage subrecipient monitoring and compliance activities for all applicable projects
- Assist with development, maintenance and revision of OSR business processes, policies & procedures
- Assist with developing and presenting workshops for faculty and staff related to funding opportunities, proposal preparation and submission, and other pre-award and post-award issues
- Serve as thought partner to the OSR Director, and backup in the Director’s absence
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Outstanding customer support, poise, tact and diplomacy
- Meticulously detail-oriented and highly organized
- Flexible and adaptable in a continuously evolving operational environment
- Eager to continue growing, learning and developing professionally
To be a successful member of our team, we will measure performance in the following areas:
- Leadership – you are highly emotionally intelligent and foster a culture of trust and transparency
- Problem solving and resourcefulness – you demonstrate creative critical thinking and exercise good judgement and intuition
- Initiative and ownership – you are a self-starter and are responsible for the quality and accuracy of your work
- Customer satisfaction and collaboration – you embrace a philosophy that everyone is a customer, including peers and teammates
- Timeliness – you thrive in a deadline-driven environment
The experience/skills you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, Master’s preferred
- Ten (10) + years of experience in sponsored research administration with preference for experience in an academic or biomedical research environment with a heavy emphasis on NIH-funded research
- At least three (3) years prior supervisory experience
- Experience in cradle-to-grave sponsored project administration, including pre-award, non-financial post-award, sponsored research compliance, 2 CFR 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements and NIH policies and procedures
- Experience with a complex regulatory environment and the ability to research and distill specialized information
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
What you’ll like most about working at Van Andel Institute:
- Your work will make a difference in the future of human health and science education
- You will be surrounded by driven, hardworking scientists and professionals
- New opportunities and challenges are always arising
- The Institute and department offer several fun, team-building events, creating a community
- The opportunity to learn new perspectives and share yours in a diverse, collaborative environment
How to Apply:
This is just a quick preview of the role. If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your application (http://bit.ly/2N8i4Xn) and submitting:
- A cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how it aligns with your experience and goals.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr@vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
Compensation and Benefits
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective day one! The competitive salary you can expect as a Manager of Sponsored Research is based on your experience and skills.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.