Concept Innovation Manager
Enerpac is a global market leader in high-pressure hydraulic tools, controlled force products and solutions for precise positioning of heavy loads. We manufacture products, from the smallest hydraulic cylinder to complete computer-operated lifting and positioning systems. Our focus is to provide customers with the most extensive line of products and accessories that maximize force-to increase productivity and make work safer and easier to perform.
Enerpac is wholly owned by Enerpac Tool Group. Enerpac Tool Group is a premier industrial tools and services company serving a broad and diverse set of customers in more than 25 countries. The Company’s businesses are global leaders in high pressure hydraulic tools, controlled force products and solutions for precise positioning of heavy loads that help customers safely and reliably tackle some of the most challenging jobs around the world. The Company was founded in 1910 and is headquartered in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. Enerpac Tool Group trades on the NYSE under the symbol “EPAC”.
For further information on Enerpac Tool Group and its businesses, visit the Company's website at https://www.enerpactoolgroup.com/.
Summary – basic function of the role
Highly motivated, energetic innovation leader that collaborates with a diverse, global, group of engineers, product managers and designers to help identify customer unmet needs, and assure innovative solutions are based on enterprise wide design principles. The Concept Innovation Manager uses a variety of frameworks and processes to encourage creative, forward thinking, value added solutions for the organization.
In this role, the Concept Innovation Manager will be chartered to accomplish three primary areas of work: The first area will be driving new methods of thinking, creative problem solving, and solution strategies as a champion of user-centered innovation for both our end users, as well as members within our organization. The second area of focus will be a technical innovator, supporting design objectives collected during the front end of product development and building out critical design elements that can be translated into representative prototypes. The third area will be leading a team to quickly create prototype units, validate the concept in the field, revisit the concept as necessary, and assist pushing the concept through the discovery phase and into the New Product Development cycle.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and lead our Concept Innovation team
- Builds and nurtures a culture of Design and & Innovation throughout the organization. Leverages Design Thinking principals to enhance outcomes cross functionally.
- Drive success by coaching and mentoring internal stakeholders, by supporting and leading key initiatives and driving teams to user-centered outcomes.
- Enhance and maintain a global design and innovation process to ensure projects are based on user-centered needs and opportunities.
- Define areas of opportunity both internal to the company and externally to our users to make the largest impact on innovation.
- Responsible for investigating concepts and technologies that can be used in development in a future state.
- Participate in product research and uncover opportunities that effectively translate needs into actionable design requirements.
- Leads and facilities user empathy sessions and innovation workshops to encourage collaborative design thinking.
- Capable of generating creative design proposals by using a variety of illustration techniques to provide visual portrayals of design directions.
- Works with team members throughout the front-end discovery process to uncover and build out novel solutions to deliver into production intent designs.
- Ability to create physical prototypes that represent accurate design directions to gain alignment and direction with our CoE teams.
- Develop stakeholder relationships and build networks to achieve short- and long-term goals.
- Travel globally as needed.
Skills and Competencies
- Front-End Innovation (FEI) experience, actively participating on a front-end development team for at least 5 years.
- Experience in a cross-functional environment, driving design success across multiple facets of the company.
- Demonstration of a keen understanding of the NPD process and how decisions in the front end directly affect product outcomes.
- Knack for identifying key areas of opportunity throughout our product offering as well as our internal organization.
- Well versed in Pro-E [Creo];
- Proficient in PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Strong understanding of mechanical design (preferably in industrial tools).
- Understanding of electrical design, including simple programming and software development
- Highly technical “Maker” with the ability to create functional prototypes to communicate product intent and feasible direction.
- Pro-active in undergoing continuous learning in technical know-how and hands-on.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills, including the ability to communicate concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences including executive management.
- Able to work effectively in a matrix organization globally.
- The passion to create and build something from nothing, including your own roles and responsibilities.
- Possess a strong understanding of the product development process and have successfully applied it to multiple projects.
- Curiosity in a changing landscape of technology, user trends, and product development
- Have a foundation of user empathy and creative storytelling
- Strong consumer centric approach to problem solving, demonstrating strong design thinking processes and methodologies.
- The enthusiasm to help foster a new way of thinking and promote collaboration.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Minimum 8 years of design or development experience
Employee may have to lift documents/work materials up to 30 pounds in weight. Employee will have to be able to walk/climb to a variety of primary work locations, including traveling by air/auto and potentially remote sites. Position may require travel up to 25% of time depending on assigned projects. Employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members in person, telephonically, and electronically at all levels within a diverse workforce and with supported organizations. Employee is able to work in front of a personal computer for extended periods of time.
Primary work environment is in a temperature-controlled office setting but may also be visiting different manufacturing facilities where following appropriate safety protocols at the location would be required.