Research Technician - Laboratory of Dr. Peter Jones
Research Technician – Jones Lab
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The laboratory of Dr. Peter Jones is seeking to hire a full-time Research Technician to be a part of our research team within the Center for Epigenetics. The laboratory is focused on the role of DNA methylation in controlling the expression of genes during normal development and in cancer, and the mechanisms by which epigenetic processes become mis-regulated in cancer and contribute to the disease phenotype. Work in the laboratory involves multiple molecular and cell biology approaches including RT-PCR, RNA-seq, Bisulfite-Seq, NOMe-seq, ChIP, Western blotting, and the use of mammalian cell lines and rodent models.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in biological sciences, focusing on biochemistry, cell biology and/or molecular biology, or related biomedical fields
- At least 3 years of hands on biology-related experience at the lab bench
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- A hardworking individual who can work independently and in a team environment
- Experience with standard molecular and cell biology techniques, especially those listed in the job description above, would be desirable
- Experience working with rodent models/maintaining mouse colonies is desirable
- Contribute to research projects by providing technical support and collaborating with other lab members
- Perform general lab maintenance such as stocking supplies, preparing buffers, aliquoting reagents, sending out hazardous waste, etc.
HOW TO APPLY: https://bit.ly/346ChVW
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF file containing the following items:
- A brief cover letter outlining your research experience and interests, and how you might contribute to the Jones Lab.
- A recent Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals and their contact details who have agreed to act as references.
This position will be open until filled with a preferred start date of November 30. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.