Senior Research Technician -DeVos Cardiovascular Research Program
Senior Research Technician
The DeVos Cardiovascular Research Program is seeking a Senior Research Technician to be part of our research team. You will join Stefan Jovinge, M.D., Ph.D., who leads the DeVos Cardiovascular Research Program. This is a joint effort between Van Andel Institute and Spectrum Health with the ultimate goal to develop new strategies to regenerate damaged heart muscle.
In this role you will spend time on projects related to reprogramming peripheral blood cells into immature induced pluripotent stems cells (iPSCs), which will then be used to generate different kinds of heart muscle cells.
Your Key Responsibilities in this role will include the following:
- Tissue Culture
- Molecular Biology Techniques: qPCR, cDNA Library Preps, Cloning including site-directed mutagenesis
- Virus Production
- Protein Purification including Western Blot
What you’ll like most about working with Dr. Jovinge’s team:
- Your work will make a difference in the future of human health and science education!
- You will be surrounded by driven, hard working professionals.
- New opportunities and challenges are always arising.
- The Institute and department offer several fun, teambuilding events, creating a community.
- The opportunity to learn new perspectives and share yours in a diverse, collaborative environment.
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Motivated and hardworking individual.
- Brings innovation/creative thinking about science.
- The work in the group is characterized by high level of integrity and validity as well as good team spirit and we therefore expect you to be too.
The qualifications for this role:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a biological science
- 4+ years of hands on experience with cellular and molecular biology.
The skills we are willing to train you on:
- Cell reprogramming, gene editing, and induced pluripotent stem cell experience.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective Day One! Salary is commensurate with experience and skillset.
YOUR NEXT STEPS! https://bit.ly/3cV1l69
If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your application, which should include the following:
- Provide a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals.
- An up-to-date CV
- Also provide a list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
This position will be open until filled and we will be evaluating applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.