Staff Scientist - Cancer Immunology
Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a staff scientist with experience in cancer immunology to support the Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) Epigenetics Dream Team. The staff scientist will work independently and directly with VAI and external faculty to further collaborative research projects, including developing, designing, and executing experiments and publishing and presenting results.
The initial appointment is for three years, reviewed annually, and renewable.
This is an excellent position for a high-caliber scientist who wishes to generate and test new research ideas, perform benchwork, and be a leading voice in the field, outside of the traditional principal investigator role.
- Independently identify significant questions within the context of the existing SU2C clinical trials and projects and develop appropriate scientific strategies to answer these questions. This includes development of scientific approach, experimental design, and execution.
- Maintain an excellent understanding of the theoretical basis of the research being performed and clearly communicate those concepts to others, both in oral and written communications. This includes keeping abreast of current scientific literature, particularly in the areas of cancer immunology and T-cell biology.
- Prepare scientific manuscripts, posters, and abstracts.
- Collaborate with faculty on research projects and contribute to grant applications (as either a multi-PI or co-I).
- Work as part of a multi-institutional team, consisting of faculty, scientific, and technical staff, to drive SU2C projects forward.
- A relevant doctoral degree (i.e., Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M., D.Sc.) from an accredited college or university.
- At least two years of postdoctoral experience.
- Strong record of research accomplishments, including publications.
- Team-based research experience.
- Expertise in T-cell biology and/or cancer immunology.
To apply for this opening please submit the following:
- cover letter highlighting your key qualifications and successful collaborations related to cancer immunology and T-cell biology.
- current curriculum vitae
- names and contact information of three references
Application reviews will begin in February 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.