Bioinformatics Postdoctoral Fellow - Epigenetics in Neurodegeneration
Bioinformatics Postdoctoral Fellow
Epigenetics in Neurodegenerative Diseases
The Labrie Lab studies the combined effect of genetic factors, epigenetic marks and 3D chromatin architecture in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD).
Specifically, we are interested in candidates with a background in bioinformatics and computational biology.
This postdoctoral position is available for a motivated PhD graduate who meets the qualifications and description outlined below. The fellow will investigate the contribution of epigenetic factors to neurodegenerative diseases (AD and PD).
- A Ph.D. graduate with a computer science background and/or experience and publications in the fields of bioinformatics, genetics or epigenetics.
- Computational skills, including experience with scripting and bioinformatic tools and packages, are needed. A candidate with experience with developing pipelines/software for biological datasets (especially next-generation sequencing data). A good working knowledge of neuroscience and (epi)genetic topics are preferred.
- Experience with scientific writing and publication.
- Must provide the names of three individuals who can provide recommendations and present a scientific seminar describing his or her previous research.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher that thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team environment
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (recent evidence of scientific publication)
The overall goal of the project is to study epigenetic mechanisms contributing to neurodegenerative diseases, in order to better understand the biology underlying these illnesses. The candidate will use cutting-edge techniques to search for epigenetic alterations in patient samples and animal models, and perform an integrative analysis that incorporates genetic factors and chromatin 3D structure. The results from these studies could lead to development of novel prognostic and therapeutic strategies to improve clinical outcomes of neurodegenerative disease. Working with work with Dr. Labrie and her research team, the candidate will help guide research directions and provide expertise to facilitate the highest level of contribution to reach the project objectives.
Van Andel Research Institute (VAI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member.
While this project is currently funded, an integral part of postdoctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI!
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and address of three references.
Non-US citizens are eligible to apply.
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.