Postdoctoral Fellow - gut-brain axis in Parkinsons - Labrie Lab
Postdoctoral Fellow - gut-brain axis in Parkinson's disease
The Labrie Lab studies the combined effect of genetic factors, epigenetic marks and 3D chromatin architecture in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD).
Specifically, we are interested in candidates with a background and interest in epigenetics and neurodegenerative disease.
As a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Labrie Lab you will be working on the gut-brain axis in Parkinson's disease, building on the work published by our lab in Science Translational Medicine.
- A Ph.D. graduate with strong molecular biology skills.
- Experience with mouse models of disease.
- Experience in neuroscience research
- Must have a publication history and strong scientific writing skills.
- Any experience in bioinformatics and statistics is preferred.
- Must provide the names of three individuals who can provide recommendations and present a scientific seminar describing his or her previous research.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher that thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team environment
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (recent evidence of scientific publication)
Van Andel Institute (VARI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member.
While this project is currently funded, an integral part of postdoctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI!
Postdoctoral Fellows at VARI are full-time employees and receive an annual salary. Salary is based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $50,500 up to a maximum of $56,000. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
Qualified applicants should provide:
- a cover letter outlining research experience and interests
- a curriculum vitae, which include information about technical skills and publications
- names and address of three references.
Non-US citizens are eligible to apply.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.