Project Architect - Healthcare
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Project Architect to join our Healthcare team. As a Project Architect, in partnership with the Project Manager and Project Designer, you are accountable for project financial performance and team communication. Responsible for the issuance and content of deliverables, technical content of HOK documents and coordination of disciplines including consultants and for the supervision of all staff producing documents.
- Responsible for ensuring the overall design intent of the project established by the Project Designer is incorporated into the detailed documentation.
- Monitors the design process from conceptual phase through construction administration, ensuring the design idea is consistent and properly executed.
- Responsible for technical resolution and coordination for a defined portion of a project.
- Works with Specification Writer to develop specifications and is responsible for coordination of drawings and specifications.
- Checks completed reports, plans, estimates and calculations for accuracy.
- Sets the overall strategy for producing the documents and identifies the sheets planned for each stage of the work. This includes defining how data will be organized into files and which elements will be incorporated in a Building Information Model (BIM).
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with the Project Leadership Team.
- Responsible for communication with other disciplines, vendors, and contractors to ensure incorporation of all information into project requirements and provides support as necessary.
- Ensures that construction detail documentation conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Supervises preparation of technical drawings by other less senior level architects or technicians.
- Performs as team leader on certain projects.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, participates in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Works on developing a positive relationship of trust with client Leadership.
- Regularly communicates with client representative to verify design requirements and specifications, progress reviews and delivery of final presentation.
- Receives project direction from the Principal in Charge and Technical direction from the RBU Technical Principal.
- Coordinates use and tracks shared electronic documentation and files with project team, clients and consultants.
- Assists in planning and conducting work making minor adaptations and modifications to complete working drawing set(s).
- Meets with municipal building department and other governing agency officials to coordinate approvals or variances.
- Writes reports and memos to consultants and vendors to issue changes and track resolutions.
- Provides technical support and project communications to team as required.
- Attends on-site visits, field reviews and project meetings. Prepares and coordinates the review of contractor’s schedules, submission of shop drawings and samples.
- Assists the Specification Writer in product research, consulting with manufacturers, evaluating and selecting project related materials.
- Involved with specification set-up and drawing coordination, research and appropriate use of HOK Standards.
- Provides support to all team members for specific market, discipline, or other areas of expertise.
- Participates in team meetings to help resolve project issues, coordination with other disciplines, schedule adherence, technical issues.
- Participates in review of project costs and budgets, adherence to schedule.
- Prepares meeting minutes of consultant coordination meetings.
- Prepares 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and builds models for client/project team review.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- Participates in business development meetings with team leaders to target specified project, client or market opportunities.
- Explores and identifies new opportunities to add or enhance professional services with existing clients.
- Assists in development of fee proposals for marketing proposals.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Strong knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Knowledge of design principles and the ability to interpret design concepts and layouts, including commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the profession required.
- Possess creative talent in conceptual design and rendering skills by either hand or computer preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of building regulations, FGI Guidelines, safety codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents required.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models required.
- Proven ability to prioritize in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of architectural building systems required.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP) preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of QA/QC process required.
- Proficiency in Revit required.
- Experience in 3D rendering software utilizing a Revit model such as Enscape / Lumion preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Experience in networking with potential clients and/or potential project team partners.
- Minimal travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Prior experience in interiors healthcare projects required.
- 5-10 years’ design experience, healthcare design preferred.
- Licensed Architect with current registration in your region preferred.
- NCARB registration preferred.
- LEED credential required within 12 months of employment.
- Experience working with the local market preferred.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.