Sr Medical Planner
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Sr Medical Planner to join our team. As a Sr Medical Planner, you are responsible for leading the medical planning effort toward the successful completion of complex healthcare facilities; provide overall programming, master planning, design and medical planning; communicate with clients/user groups to understand project requirements.
- Oversees and provides medical planning expertise to other team members and the firm-wide healthcare practice.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of clients’ program requirements and standards and policies for completion.
- Develops project scope, plan, and services and during the contract process. Translates planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members.
- Lead periodical project meetings and presentations; ensure client is adequately briefed on project progress.
- Responsible for the design development, modification and/or review of medical planning concepts and solutions.
- Responsible for establishing overall project budgets and milestone schedules in coordination with project managers, architect and project engineers.
- Ensures project inter-disciplinary and quality control coordination.
- Oversees the development of architectural drawings to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction.
- Actively seeks new knowledge in the design and planning of medical and healthcare facilities.
- Supervises other team members in conjunction with project managers.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff.
- Actively participates in industry associations to ensure visibility.
- Oversees and may prepare 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings.
- Promotes the principles of sustainable design.
- Fosters a culture of external and internal client service.
- Participates in user groups (heads of departments, specialists, etc.) to collect program needs for healthcare facilities and assist with technical aspects of the meeting.
- Provides expert technical knowledge in the design and planning of various-sized medical and healthcare facilities.
- Prepares and modifies architectural documents, elevations, sections, details, etc.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Communicates planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports.
- Participates actively in the firm-wide Healthcare practice within HOK.
- Assists in the development of standard materials that describe the portfolio, systems, processes and people of the Healthcare Group.
- Demonstrated creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of healthcare facilities.
- Advanced knowledge of progressive technical and regulatory requirements for healthcare facilities design and understanding of fundamental departmental organization and functionality.
- Advanced knowledge of healthcare delivery systems and how design impacts those systems – public/private space, adjacencies, staff and patient flow, support functions, central plant, etc.
- Possess basic hand and CAD drafting skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in Revit is preferable.
- Knowledge about sustainability and LEED preferred.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to convey medical planning needs to designers and other team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required and healthcare design certification preferred. Master Degree preferred.
- 10 years’ experience focused on a variety of healthcare projects - full new facilities, additions, renovations, departments with some large-scale, complex healthcare projects required.
- Architecture license preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.