Director of Chemistry
Research & Development
The Director of Chemistry is a leadership role working as part of a multi-disciplinary research team focused on the discovery and development of HIF based therapeutics. Responsible for applying their knowledge and experience to guide drug discovery programs and advance drug candidates into development. Functions as a key member of the research team and helps to provide scientific direction to the discovery organization. Represents functional group on cross-disciplinary project teams or other assignments, as needed.
- Assist leadership in the development, refinement and execution of Akebia’s research strategy
- Works with leadership team to ensure strategic plans align with corporate goals and long term company plans.
- Responsible for overseeing and/or conducting scientific research for the discovery of drugs and the development of drug candidates
- Provide scientific leadership and expertise in support of project teams and development activities.
- Effectively directs project teams, either on a direct or indirect supervisory basis, in the development and execution of experiments. Ensures team achieves assigned objectives.
- Proposes, plans and conducts research projects including complex experiments, some in parallel, utilizing current concepts and recognized standard techniques. Identifies and proposes new drug discovery targets and develops new protocols to identify and validate targets as necessary.
- Contributes through the advancement of scientific knowledge in the field.
- Responsibilities performed with an understanding of drug discovery in area of specialization.
- Writes reports for internal communications and author patents and papers for peer review journals.
- Maintains a familiarity with current and emerging technologies through reading and understanding scientific and technical literature resulting in a broadening understanding of disciplines outside area of training and enabling the use of new and improved procedures in the laboratory
- Establish and/or help to maintain relationships and serve as liaison between the company and its external scientific advisors and collaborators.
- Identify opportunities and lead collaborations to gain access to key capabilities.
- Form strategic partnerships, including academic and other research collaborations as appropriate
- Participate in business development and in-licensing activities as needed, including due diligence activities as required
- Scientific presentation and attendance at key scientific and medical conferences
- Continually assesses and improves operational effectiveness and efficiency in support of overall strategy.
- Participates in the development of patent applications.
- Responsible for the creation of nonclinical reports for regulatory submissions
- Grow a team of chemists and independently guide their work
- Manage seamlessly across functions
- PhD required in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry or appropriate related discipline, > 10 years industry experience, with a minimum of 5 years leadership experience.
- Strong background and knowledge in Chemistry with a proven track record of drug discovery
- Experience with structure based drug design
- Good understanding of biology and pharmacology strongly desired
- Demonstrates leadership capabilities, including effective cross-organizational skills
- Skilled in leading and participating to enable highly effective teams
- Strong skills in managing and growing the careers of direct reports
- Full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the research direction that supports company interests.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and research strategy
- Must think critically, creatively and be able to determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems
- Demonstrated ability in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
Akebia Therapeutics, Inc. is a fully integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of therapeutics for people with kidney disease. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. For more information, please visit our website at www.akebia.com
Akebia Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all job applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.