Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 24 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
IDQ has an exciting opportunity available for a Purchasing Specialist to join our corporate offices in Bloomington, MN. This role will join our USCI division focusing on negotiating and assist in management of purchasing programs with approved suppliers for sale to endorsed distributors, in order to have adequate quantities of approved product at competitive prices for the franchisees, and to provide a profit for the corporation. Follows up with manufacturers and trouble-shoots to resolve shipment shortages and complaints throughout the supply chain. In addition this role will ensure inventory is at adequate levels across the system and assist in preparation of the USCI annual profit plan.
Key Accountabilities Include the following:
Negotiations and Communications with Suppliers:
- Identifies and contacts potential suppliers to validate their ability to provide the product for future RFPs.
- Evaluates potential supplier’s finances, support resources, production capacity, distribution capabilities, etc.
- Assists in preparing Requests for Pricing from suppliers.
- Assists in negotiation of pricing, freight and analysis with potential suppliers to ensure competitive prices, availability, and to enhance franchisee profitability.
- Works with manager to ensure timely and accurate supplier compliance with USCI standards, reports, and payments of committed funds, including service fees.
- Communicates sales forecast to approved suppliers and works with suppliers and distributors to ensure adequate inventories of product for stores.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with suppliers and the endorsed distributors to assure the highest level of service.
- Supports the efforts of marketing by working with suppliers to make sure adequate inventory is available to meet the demand of system sales for promotions.
- Follows up with manufacturers, identifies shipment shortages and ensures adequate inventory levels in the supply chain.
- Works to identify slow moving and obsolete inventory, as well as inventory shortages in certain areas.
- Assists R & D, QA, Operations, and distributors to resolve quality and service complaints from franchisees and field staff.
- Monitors and evaluates supplier performance based on One-Call Data and supplier scorecards.
Gather Data and Assisting with Business Plan and Strategy Preparation:
- Maintains accurate prices, as well as, vital product and supplier information within USCI systems, for use by endorsed distributors and corporate staff.
- Assist in the creation of the USCI annual profit plan, by estimating the number, price and movement of cases for product area of responsibility. Forecasts for supply amounts of approximately $20-$40M in sales.
- Monitor and review market trends and data provided by economists, suppliers and other industry publications and sources.
- Research and stay knowledgeable of industry information and of market trends for key commodities affecting product costs to help minimize negative impact on product pricing and availability.
- Communicate significant industry and commodity information to Purchasing Team/USCI.
- Assist with planning and coordination of supplier participation at the annual Supply Chain Summit and every other year DQ Expo.
- Source product and suppliers in support of R&D / Marketing departments as it relates to the execution of the marketing calendar / promotional activity, new product development, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Creative thinker who can quickly develop innovative ideas across a wide variety of business units.
- Relationship building skills with the ability to create mutually beneficial relationships with both internal and external clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong demonstrated ability to create presentations and present to groups of internal and external customers.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously within an intense, deadline-driven environment.
- Well organized with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Familiarity with the Restaurant Industry and Restaurant Operations
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Economics or similar business curriculum, required.
- Must have a minimum of 2-3 years of purchasing or supply chain experience. Depending upon area of responsibility, required purchasing experience should focus in one or several of the following: packaging, protein, commodity, confectionary, and/or restaurant equipment.
- Experience in purchasing in the restaurant industry.
Benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, employer paid basic life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid sick and vacation, 401(k) match, tuition reimbursement, wellness challenges and more!
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program.