Product Development Manager
Research & Development
Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 24 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting opportunity available for a Product Development Manager position located in China. This role will work closely with the Sr. Product Development Manager, managing the product development program to ensure the development and improvement of IDQ products in China.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Develop and manage processes/timelines to complete development projects in a timely, cost effective manner. Perform advanced, creative and technical product development assignments within the food category. Analyze product and procedural issues and take initiative to recommend solutions to resolve problems by applying advanced technical knowledge and skill.
- Approve ingredient specifications, and final product specifications. Alert management to issues relating to the approval of these specifications. Facilitate internal/external ideation and product exploration sessions for the food product category. Present ideas to brand marketing team.
- Develop and build relationships with suppliers and other experts related to food category. Proactively direct and manage suppliers in the development of new ingredients and products. Troubleshoot manufacturing plant procedures for existing and new products.
- Develop objective evaluation procedures with sensory scientists and participate in objective evaluations of current and proposed food products. Recognize product and procedural problems and take initiative to recommend solutions to problems by applying advanced technical knowledge and skill.
- Analyze consumer and operator comments, market research information on new products and recommend improvements. Alert Corporation to new trends in the food industry. Support Asia QA by ensuring that ADQ quality and food safety requirements are met.
- Proven track record in working in China and understanding the market and culture
- Fluency in English and Mandarin (verbal and written)
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Ability to multitask and manage a minimum of plus 20 projects at one time
- Ability to develop and grow relationships
- Must be results oriented and effective problem solver
- Ability to work effectively within a cross functional team environment
- Must be strategic in thinking and execution
- Very strong knowledge of QSR operations
- Competency in the use of computers and working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, Lotus Notes
- Ability to work occasionally on evenings and weekends, as necessary to meet project deadlines
- Must have the ability to travel internationally including the US and all countries throughout Asia as needed
- Minimum bachelor degree in food science, technology or related field
- 5-8 years of product research and development experience in food industry, preferably in a multinational QSR or Food service company
- Managerial experience within a team and within a cross functional environment
- Project management is a plus