Category Manager - Packaging & In-store Substrates
The Category Manager of Packaging and In-store Substrates (Pk-Sub) role is responsible for leading the procurement categories of packaging materials and specialty substrates for RRD. RRD’s platform uses various types of packaging materials used in folding cartons and other applications (SBS, CUK, CRB, etc). Specialty substrates consist of various non-paper materials used by RRD’s clients to promote their brand inside their facilities (HIPS, foam board, polystyrene, polyethylene, fabrics, etc). The Pk-Sub must understand all aspects of these categories and will be relied upon to manage the category. Pk-Sub is the primary point of contact with suppliers through the entire supply chain cycle. The ideal candidate will have the ability to manage other supply chain categories as a back-up or as opportunities develop.
As a member of the GSS corporate procurement organization, the Pk-Sub will need to work with multiple internal departments to promote and lead GSS strategies while gaining alignment and compliance from the business units
- Category Management; Experienced in procurement functions to develop and manage an effective total cost of ownership strategy. Recommend cost reduction without negatively impacting Clients. Stay abreast of the latest technological advances in materials. Communicate important industry information (mergers, closures, price changes, industry trends, etc)
- Determine Requirements; Work with BU/Plants to understand Client material requirements. Make recommendations regarding new and effective structures and materials will be most effective on RRD equipment. Determine why a supplier is needed; volume, budget, duration, skills, services, market knowledge, certifications, alternative option.
- Supplier Identification; Identify potential suppliers; industry intelligence, existing suppliers, recommended suppliers, specialty certifications, requests from suppliers on file.
- Screen and Select Suppliers; Conditions of use; one-time or repetitive, geographic, capability, capacity, or back-up. Certifications; diversity, associations, regulated products and materials. Financial stability, market position, growth potential, etc.
- Negotiation; Work with suppliers to obtain lowest cost total cost solutions that meet the business unit’s requirements, including; price, pay terms, services, and ongoing productivity improvements
- Contracting; In accordance with corporate guidelines, establish contracts that include; pricing, NDA, service commitments, terms & conditions, and other necessary elements to mitigate risk and to document the agreement.
- On-Boarding; Management approvals, communicate supplier information to BUs, classify supplier in various systems, documentation collection and filing (W9, certifications, remit to information), transaction setup (SAP / PO, invoicing), supplier training on RRD systems.
- Vendor Management; Evaluate supplier’s performance; spend (compliance to classification and agreement), expectations (Quality, delivery, service, cost savings, pricing, productivity, innovation, claim resolution), Compliance (regulated products & materials, certifications). Updates to contacts, remits, COI, contract renewals. Reporting (regulatory, spend review, adherence to agreement).
- Professional Development; Be aware of own professional needs to formulate, with supervision, appropriate training as part of your professional development.
- College degree preferred, or demonstrated ability to meet the job requirements
- 10+ years procurement with experience in folding carton materials and specialty substrates.
- Ability to act as an advocate for RRD’s requirements with suppliers
- Excellent communication skills with ability to respond to sensitive supplier issues with professionalism
- Good organizational skills with ability to handle rapidly changing priorities
- High proficiency in computer skills, especially procurement systems and aptitude to learn additional systems
- Good analytical and computational skills for price evaluations and spend analysis
- Negotiating, contracting, and other procurement skills are critical
- Capability to function in a team environment
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer