Dean, College of Professional Sciences 999663
Xavier University invites applications, nominations, or expressions of interest for the position of Dean of the College of Professional Sciences.
The College of Professional Sciences (CPS) contains a distinguished group of academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels (including three doctoral programs) spanning three areas of study:
- Social Sciences includes the School of Psychology, and degree programs in criminal justice, social work, sports management and marketing, counseling, and leadership and human resource development.
- Health includes degree programs in athletic training, exercise science, health services administration, occupational therapy, and radiologic technology.
- Education includes a School of Education with programs and licensure in childhood education, literacy and TESOL, secondary, special education, educational administration, and Montessori education, and a degree program in coaching education and athlete development.
Also within the College of Professional Sciences is the Center for Population Health, Xavier Health, and Military Science. The College serves approximately 1029 undergraduate and 996 graduate students.
The Dean Position:
The College seeks an academic leader with the communication, administrative, and leadership skills necessary to support and advance its thriving academic programs. This individual should possess a foundational understanding and knowledge of the social sciences, health professions, and education.
Key responsibilities include:
- Advocating for the College externally by building partnerships with relevant constituent groups and fundraising
- Supporting the development of new academic programs and providing support to ensure the continued quality of existing programs within the College
- Supporting the professional development of faculty and staff within the College
- Providing oversight and effective management of the College’s budget
- Maintaining the College’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Working collaboratively with the other College Deans and key partners across the University
- Supporting the efforts of Enrollment Management to strengthen and maintain the pipeline of undergraduate and graduates students in college
- Acting as a liaison and advocate between faculty/staff and university administrators
The Dean will be a leader, demonstrating a solid understanding of the changing landscape of social science, healthcare, and educational environments. She/he will also provide operational management for the College and will report to the Provost and Chief Academic Officer of the University. The Dean’s Office includes two Associate Deans and support staff.
Candidates must hold a doctorate from an accredited institution in a discipline represented in the College and should have a record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with the appointment at the rank of associate or full professor (preferred) with tenure in a department or school in the college. The successful candidate should have experience in developing partnerships with internal and external stakeholders and with fundraising. Candidates must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a broad range of constituents including administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni and community partners.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- A record of relevant university leadership experience.
- Experience in building and fostering programs of excellence consistent with Xavier’s vision and mission
- Familiarity with and experience in developing online programming on the graduate level
- Working knowledge of population health and inter-professional education.
- Experience with accreditation expectations and demands
- Demonstrated expertise in managing faculty and staff relationships and mentoring faculty development
- Working knowledge of trends in higher education
- Record of support and advocacy for faculty and student research opportunities
- Experience in the management of complex budgets
- Demonstrated dedication to the promotion of diversity, access, and inclusion
For primary consideration, applicants should submit electronically a letter of interest, comprehensive curriculum vitae and the names and contact information for three professional references by November 1, 2019 on Xavier University's website.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.