Assistant Chief of Police 998348
Position Title: Assistant Chief of Police
Position Summary: The Assistant Chief of Police functions as a key member of the Command Staff and assists in making critical management decisions. The Assistant Chief provides direct support to the Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police in the administration and operations of the University Police Department and for the development and implementation of law enforcement leadership educational activities for the Xavier Police leadership team. The Assistant Chief will assist with the development of strategic planning for the Xavier University Police Department and serve as the Acting Chief in the Chief’s absence.
The incumbent must be thoroughly knowledgeable in concepts of modern law enforcement and community policing and be able to provide leadership, direction and administration to a complex organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspection and oversight of the sworn patrol, investigative, and non-sworn support personnel to ensure compliance with the department’s policies, procedures and standards.
- Conducting interviewing, hiring and training of departmental employees.
- Coordinating/command response of all police units at major incidents or emergency situations in the absence of the DPS/Chief of Police.
- Managing various personnel functions including, but not limited to hiring, promotions, disciplinary actions and grievances.
- Managing complaint program and conducting reviews of complaints about personnel.
- Managing equipment and personnel budgets.
- Overseeing department training related to police, fire, and emergency medical procedures.
- Developing and implementing police and traffic control procedures for special campus events.
- Maintaining appropriate data bases within the department concerning crime statistics and make appropriate reports.
- Conducting internal and confidential investigations.
- Responds to crimes in progress, emergencies, crisis, etc.; determines mutual aid needs for additional police, fire and EMS personnel; oversees and participates in the patrols of buildings and grounds of Xavier University.
- Works collaboratively with administrators, staff, faculty, and students across campus to ensure the delivery of community oriented law enforcement services. Directly supervises lieutenants, sergeants, specialists, officers and other department personnel.
- Interprets and enforces state laws, municipal ordinances and University regulations.
- Stays abreast of developments in the field of campus security, safety, crime prevention, law enforcement and emergency preparedness and serves as the campus expert in these areas.
- Provides administrative reports and attends and participates in campus committees and other projects as assigned.
- Provides oversight and leadership for the Dispatch Operations ensuring staffing and training.
- Position requires on-call duty and varied schedule based on campus events.
- Participates in other projects as assigned.
- Provides oversight for the identification, development and presentation of safety and crime prevention programs, training, and education for faculty, staff and students.
- Provides oversight for the development, maintenance and testing of the various campus safety communication tools, including: XU AlertMe, emergency notification phones, building alarm systems, digital signage, safety website, and the XUPD websites.
- Responsible for providing direction and oversight to the development, implementation, and monitoring of the University’s Clery compliance process.
- Works collaboratively with various offices at the University and oversees University policy and procedures in relation to Clery Act developments.
- Provides oversight for procedures to ensure compliance with the Immediate Notification and Timely Warning requirements.
- Provides oversight for the implementation of reporting and training procedures, including preparation of the Annual Security Report and ongoing identification and training of Campus Security Authorities (CSAs).
- Bachelor’s degree – Field of Study: Criminal Justice, Police Administration or related.
- 5-10 years of work related experience
- Ohio Peace Officer state certification or ability to obtain within one year.
- Valid driver’s license
- Master’s Degree – Field of Study: Criminal Justice or Public Administration
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, AED, firearms, Taser, ASP baton and chemical spray are preferred but can be obtained.
Qualified candidates, if selected for offer, will be required to pass a drug screening, a department physical assessment test as well as other University required tests.
To ensure consideration, applications must be submitted by Monday, October 28, 2019.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.