Adjunct Instructor - Department of Physics AR9983
Adjunct Instructor of Physics
Xavier University, located in Cincinnati, Ohio, is currently accepting applications for an Adjunct Instructor of Physics to begin in the spring of 2020. This position will include the instruction of two to three College Physics Lab courses housed within the Department of Physics.
Minimum Qualifications: Minimum qualifications to teach Physics at Xavier University include a Masters in Physics or Engineering or related field with a minimum of 18 credit hours in Physics (typically a minor in Physics). Candidates should have experience in teaching physics at high school or undergraduate level.
This position will include two or three algebra based College Physics lab courses (two-contact hour courses) with a maximum of 18 students each to begin in the spring 2020. The courses cover the following topics: electric circuits, Kirchhoff’s laws, geometric optics, diffraction optics and magnetism. Lab set-ups and lab manuals are provided. Students in these courses are typically premed, biology or chemistry students. Contracts for adjunct faculty members are issued on a semester basis. Additional courses in the fall semester of 2020 and beyond may be available to the applicant who demonstrates successful teaching in her or his first semester at Xavier.
- Present and explain lab experiments in a clear and understandable manner. (Labs are predesigned and lab manuals themselves are prepared.)
- Use Xavier’s campus-wide CMS, Canvas, to provide course information and maintain an electronic record of student progress.
- Grade lab reports weekly.
- Check e-mail daily.
- Deliver learner-centered instruction by establishing an inclusive classroom environment.
- Work cooperatively with members of the Physics department
Interested candidates must apply on Xavier University's website. For additional information, please contact Heidrun Schmitzer, Physics Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Marca Kasselmann, administrative assistant, email@example.com.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer