Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 24 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Director, Communications located at our corporate headquarters in Bloomington, MN. The Director of Corporate Communications oversees and directs the activities of the IDQ’s enterprise-wide communications. Responsible for developing and implementing communication strategies, plans and processes to drive and support key messaging and business initiatives. Provides executive-level communication counsel on strategic initiatives and projects. Leads the creation of the Company’s strategic internal communications plans with messaging that inspires and engages our employees. Strategically crafts communications to inform DQ franchisees and employees of corporate messages, programs and initiatives. Provides leadership and direction to Communications Manager.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Actively engages with cross-functional teams and company leaders to understand IDQ’s strategic vision, corporate initiatives, and brand messaging. Develops an integrated corporate communications strategy to be implemented across internal and external-facing audiences.
- Develops and implements key communications policies and guidelines.
- Incorporates change management principles into communication plans and strategies, where relevant.
Oversees all Employee Communications:
- Oversees the creation and positioning of key internal (IDQ employee) communications.
- Ensures corporate messaging flows consistently throughout all key internal communications without being distorted, and that all key internal communications are branded in a manner that is consistent with the Company’s overall strategic branding as well as its Mission, Vision and Values.
- Supports executive leadership as the Company’s primary communications advisor and strategist. Provides executive-level communication counsel on strategic initiatives and projects, for maximum impact. Creates or oversees the creation of communications related to these initiatives.
- Leads the Company’s media communications efforts, and acts as the centralized resource for corporate news and information.
- Works closely with senior executives on high-level messaging, speaking opportunities and media requests.
- Oversees the creation of content that inspires and educates employees and drives engagement and business results.
Oversees all Franchisee Communications:
- Oversees and contributes to the development of franchisee communication programs that strengthen the partnership between ADQ and its franchisees, builds franchisee engagement around the company’s mission, vision, values, business priorities and that supports franchisee profitability.
- Leads the strategy for the creation of an impactful annual editorial calendar for the World of DQ Magazine. Oversees the Communication Manager’s creation of these publications.
Leads IDQ Crisis-Management Communications:
- Manages crisis-management related media relations for the Company.
- Develops crisis and issues management plans, corrects inaccuracies, anticipates and manages crisis communications.
- Acts as corporate spokesperson when required.
- Manages a Communication Manager, setting goals, coaching, providing feedback, setting and managing performance expectations and job results.
- Plays a leadership role in planning and executing special events including IDQ’s franchisee convention Connect general session, Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder meetings, and larger IDQ employee meetings.
- Demonstrates an understanding and proven track record of strategic communication planning, message development and executive.
- Superior communication/writing and editing skills with an understanding of how to tailor messages to different audiences clearly, quickly and proficiently.
- Exceptional editing and proofreading skills.
- Creative/strategic thinker who can quickly develop innovative story ideas for an audience across a wide variety of business units.
- Strong planning and organizing skills, with the ability to prioritize and plan work activities, create repeatable internal processes to ensure deadlines are met, use time efficiently, plan for additional resources, organize or schedule other people and their tasks and develop realistic action plans.
- Advanced knowledge of AP style.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to connect with a variety of both internal and external clients.
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within an intense, deadline-driven environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, English, Mass Communication, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Graduate degree a plus.
- Must have a minimum of 8-10 years of prior corporate communications, association and/or agency experience including several years in a leadership role.
- Management experience a plus.
- Experience providing strategic communication counsel to company senior management.
- Experience in a corporate communications leadership role in a franchisee-based organization is preferred.
- Experience and familiarity with best practices within change management principles and concepts.
Benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, employer paid basic life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid sick and vacation, 401(k) match, tuition reimbursement, wellness challenges and more!
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program.