Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and 24 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Payroll Accountant located at our Franchise Support Center in Bloomington, MN. This individual contributor role will manage the payroll function for International Dairy Queen/ADQ and its subsidiaries including corporate employees in the United States, Canada, and International as well as Corporate Stores employees, ensuring employees are paid on a timely and accurate basis and ensuring compliance with the federal, state and local government requirements. In addition, they will research and recommend opportunities to lead organization to best practice operations in the payroll function.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Manage bi-weekly and semi-monthly disbursement of multi-state and international payroll (about 500 employees), including garnishments, benefits and taxes, for all employees and locations consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely. Ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect our current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time.
- Critically review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations. Maintain payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Communicate actively with HR and appropriate departments to review cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing. Partner with HR in maintaining a sophisticated payroll and benefits system.
- Prepare and review payroll account reconciliations.
- Ensure all payroll information and records are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Maintain payroll expertise with payroll regulations through external study and regular networking with payroll professionals.
- Creative thinker who can continuously develop ideas for process improvement
- Relationship building skills with the ability to create mutually beneficial relationships with both internal and external clients
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within a deadline-driven environment
- Prior experience with Ultimate software
- Well organized with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical skills
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience (Bachelor’s degree preferred). Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience managing a multi-state payroll department
- Previous experience and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications(Excel, Word) and payroll applications, such as UltiPro, ADP or PeopleSoft
- Working experience of payroll tax at the federal, state and local levels; experience with Canadian wage and tax regulations/laws a plus.
Benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, employer paid basic life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid sick and vacation, 401(k) match, tuition reimbursement, wellness challenges and more!
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program.