Postdoctoral Fellow - Patrik Brundin Lab
Translational Parkinson’s Disease Research
The Patrik Brundin lab focuses on pathogenetic mechanisms and pharmacological treatment in cell and animal models of Parkinson's disease.
As a Postdoctoral Fellow in the P. Brundin Laboratory you will be working on a funded project focused on dissecting pathogenetic mechanisms in Parkinson’s disease. The overall goals of the project include developing and validating a mouse model of PD that can be used to better understand how the disease progresses and testing the effects of new, potentially disease-modifying, PD therapies.
Specifically, we are interested in candidates with a background in neuroscience and Parkinson’s disease.
- A Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in neuroscience, biochemistry, and/or molecular and cell biology with expertise in Parkinson’s disease.
- Experience with mouse models of neurological disease and knowledge of brain morphology are expected.
- Previous experience with molecular and cell biology techniques, stereotaxic surgery, and mouse behavioral studies are also expected.
- Must have a publication history and strong scientific writing skills.
- Must provide the names of three individuals who can provide recommendations and present a scientific seminar describing his or her previous research.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and work collegially.
- A detail-oriented researcher that thinks critically to effectively design experiments and address complex research problems.
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply: https://bit.ly/3dpi15z
Submit your online application with the following:
- Cover letter outlining research experience and interests
- Contact details for 3 references
This position will be open until filled but early applications are encouraged.
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
VAI provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers (https://vari.vai.org/postdoctoral/). The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI!
Postdoctoral Fellows at VAI are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary along with VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.