Research Technician - Du and Lu Labs
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
Dr. Wei Lü and Dr. Juan Du are seeking to hire a full-time Research Technician to work on collaborative projects between their labs. These projects are focused on studying structure and mechanism of ion channels and transmembrane receptors that are linked to neurological diseases and cancers, using primarily single-particle cryo-EM.
In this role, you will be provided training to prepare you for the following responsibilities:
- maintain mammalian and insect cell lines
- molecular cloning
- small-scale protein expression screening using transient transfection and fluorescence-detection size-exclusion chromatography (FSEC)
- generate baculoviruses
- large-scale protein expression in mammalian or insect cells
- general lab maintenance
You must possess a Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, focusing on biochemistry, molecular and cell biology and have experience in a lab setting. We are ideally looking for people with the following:
- Hands on experience in a wet lab environment
- A self-driven and hard-working individual who has a strong curiosity about basic science and its clinical application
- A highly organized multi-tasker who is capable of following protocol, pays attention to detail and values research integrity
- A collegial team member with the ability to interact effectively and cordially with colleagues and collaborators
Compensation and Benefits:
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective day one! Pay will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply - https://bit.ly/3epDefJ
If you possess these attributes, submit: a single .pdf document bearing the following components:
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to the Henderson Lab.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.