Core Inventory Specialist
Core Inventory Specialist
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The Institute’s Pathology and Biorepository Core (PBC) serves as the coordinating facility for the prospective collection of biological specimens and as a clearinghouse for the processing, storage, and isolation of analytes to fuel biomedical discovery at VAI and partnering institutions. The PBC also conducts scientific evidence-based practices to advance the field of biospecimen science.
To ensure VAI’s PBC is able to meet all the support required for both our internal and external collaborators, we are looking to add a fulltime Core Inventory Specialist to the team.
This Core Inventory Specialist will be responsible for the creation, management and shipping of specimen retrieval kits, managing and ordering inventory, monitoring source site kit inventory, accessioning specimen receipt, distributing specimens, and ensuring proper requisition and processing procedures are created and followed for all associated processes.
The position will require an individual to be responsible for the following minimal tasks:
- Maintain inventory of specimen kit building supplies, order necessary items and work with Procurement department to ensure proper inventory controls are followed.
- Responsible for receiving and inspecting specimens, supplies and equipment from vendors and shippers; includes documenting process into computer systems.
- Manage process of creating, building and distributing kits used in biorepository collection processes.
- Utilize resources to ensure shipping of biospecimen samples is handled according to procedures for researchers or other collaborators at outside organizations
- Work with VAI Logistics to receive and distribute shipments of kits and specimens, and verify and track outgoing shipments.
- Utilize multiple electronic information systems to ship, track and receive all inbound/outbound shipments and monitor proof of delivery.
- Inspect, receive and store specimens utilizing a barcoding inventory system.
- Prepare outbound shipments using courier websites.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
This job might be for you if you are:
- Possess a High school diploma/GED, however an Associate’s degree is preferred.
- A self-driven and conscious individual who believes in providing excellent service to customers.
- A highly organized and detail oriented person who is able to effectively use software driven technology.
- A team player with the ability to interact effectively and communicate well with customers and co-workers
- A person who has a strong interest in learning more about logistics and specimen handling and gaining good work experience in this area.
- Ability to reach, lift, carry, and transport packages and supplies, weighing up to 80 lbs.
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to APPLY TODAY! https://bit.ly/31sWogB
This position will be open until filled. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
*Van Andel Institute is a drug free employer.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.