Accounting Assistant - Temporary/Term
Position Summary: Provide support to the Financial Accounting Services department in the areas of purchasing card processing, accounts payable processing, and related financial activities.
This is a temporary position expected to be in effect for no longer than 90 days. Temporary positions may be full or part-time, depending on the needs of the department. Temporary positions are ineligible for benefits.
- Audit purchasing card and request for reimbursement expense reports by verifying the accuracy, consistency, and completeness of information such as transaction feeds, expense coding, and relevant supporting documentation through Chrome River software
- Prepare a reconciliation of submitted credit card activity on a weekly and monthly basis and resolve reconciling items through research in a timely manner
- Process approved journal entry vouchers into the Banner accounting system
- Prepare data files for upload to financial records for postage charges, telephone charges, copier allocations, mileage reimbursements, and other items as needed
- Assist in month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closing processes
- Responds to inquiries and researches and resolves concerns or discrepancies
- Other duties as assigned
- Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery.
- Constantly visually identifies, observes, and assesses.
- Frequently communicates with university constituents.
- Frequently remains in a stationary position (standing and/or sitting). Occasionally moves to accomplish tasks and/or to get from one worksite to another.
- Occasionally moves common office materials.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the candidate to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or off campus.
- Off-campus travel occasionally required.
- Candidate will be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones and office machines.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and mathematical skills
- Proficient skills in basic MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Technical fluency in common software and applications, ability to acquire new technology quickly
- Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Previous experience in data entry, accounts payable, or financial transaction processing is required. Experience with purchasing card transactions and reconciliations is a plus.