Data Services Programmer (Part-Time Internship)
INTERNSHIP = Part-Time Only (24-30 hours/week)
(Excellent Position for College Students - See Required Experience)
Who we are….
For more than 150 years RR Donnelley has kept up on the latest trends in printing. We provide companies with communications solutions that span the lifecycle of a program, while our individual capabilities can support a specific project or phase. Our Angola team converts and prints pressure sensitive labels, intelligently imaged projects, integrated labels and many custom solutions supporting customers in every industry.
When and where have you seen RR Donnelley?
We are there with you, every day. From the roll that prints your receipt in the super market, to the tracking label that ensures that critical package is properly delivered to your doorstep. Maybe it is a packing slip, window label, retail marketing label, price sticker in the store or that product ID label on the plumber’s putty you used on your last DIY project. Our employees are working hard to manufacture quality products that touch consumers across the globe and enable our customers to effectively communicate with their audience every single day.
Our employees are recognized for their skills, abilities, and career growth.
Prepares and monitors electronic data via software programs for the manufacturing of business form/label orders requiring variable printed information (numbering, barcodes, personalization, etc.)
VDP programmer to utilize GMC Print Net T software, C#, and other modern programming and scripting languages to develop complex variable direct mail programs based on customer specific business rules and requirements generating print ready file streams in PDF that will be consumed and printed on imaging presses.
- Analyze, identify relationships and process source data (Customer supplied XML and flat file sources, RRD supplied presorted data sources)
- Import / Define source file and field layouts using GMC Print Net T\
- Define and build integration and data transformation logic through GMC Print Net T components and scripting
- Develop appropriate test cases to thoroughly test and validate the logic of the programs internally and with the customer
- Define and build output print ready file streams for our imaging presses
- Develop turnkey automation solutions for repeatable programs with consistent data sources, content, business rules and requirements using GMC Print Net T, Visual Basic, C# and other modern programming and scripting languages
- Occasional communication directly with the customer for requirements gathering
- Thorough, clear program documentation
- Adheres to and promotes all safety policies and procedures
- Performs other related duties and participates in projects as assigned
- Follows the requirements of documented processes as defined in the ISO Quality Manual.
Punctual, regular attendance is an essential job function of employment with RR Donnelley. Overtime, including weekend work, is considered a condition of employment. Flexibility to work any shift is required.
- Job requires ability to exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Requires frequent, repetitive use of two hands to keyboard data.
- Required frequently to talk and hear to communicate with customers and make presentations.
- Required frequently to sit, twist, turn, reach and bend.
- Hearing protection and safety shoes required occasionally; safety glasses or goggles occasionally.
RR Donnelley is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- Solid knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to interact with external and internal customers for critical analysis, requirements discovery, test case development and work change management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills is a must
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- GMC Print Net T experience is desired, but not required
- Coding and analysis skills are more important than specific programming tool experience
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, deadline driven team environment
- Knowledge of PDF workflows, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Visual Basic, Microsoft Access, Quark Express is a plus
- Must have a good memory for details plus exceptional powers of concentration
- Must have an above average aptitude for numbers and numbering
- Must be able to work independently and exercise discretion and independent judgment with minimal supervision to get the work done in a timely manner.
- Must be able to work as part of a team when required.
- Minimum Associate Degree in Computer Science or equivalent education in a related discipline is required. (Experience could be used in lieu of education)
- Experience in flat file analysis and processing is required
- At least 1+ year experience in software development / coding, systems analysis and data transformation. 2+ or more years preferred