So many of us have had personal experience with the devastation diseases such as cancer and Parkinson’s bring to individuals, to families and to hope itself. Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute located in the heart of Grand Rapids, MI’s vibrant Medical Mile, has a mission to find what causes disease and to translating those discoveries into therapeutic solutions that conquer illness and enhance lives.
VAI is currently seeking to hire a full-time entry level Glassware Technician. The position is temporary and will last up to 12 months. In this role, you will assist in supporting a diverse set of operational needs within our organization. If you are looking to provide world-class support to world-class research and education, we would love to hear from you.
Your Key Responsibilities in this role will include the following:
- Collecting, processing, and distributing glassware and other supplies to research areas;
- Preparing, treating, and sterilizing lab supplies for use in research according to standard operating procedures and best practices;
- Conducting cleaning, minor repair, and other preventative maintenance efforts on departmental equipment;
- Actively monitoring and filling shared liquid nitrogen dewars throughout our facilities;
- Processing biohazardous waste with the use of research grade autoclaves;
- Performing all other duties as assigned.
What you’ll like most about working in the Glassware Services Department:
- Joining a hardworking, improvement focused, dynamic team of professionals in supporting disease research.
To be a successful member of our team, we will measure you on the following areas:
- Attention to detail
- Attitude of collaboration
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to adapt well to changing priorities
The skills you will be required to have in this role:
- High school diploma or GED required with a minimum of 0 - 2 years of related experience, Associates degree in related field preferred;
- Ability to create and maintain records, logs, reports, and other documents as requested;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office;
- Ability to reach, lift, carry, and transport packages and supplies.
The skills we are willing to train you on:
- All skills associated with the sterile processing of lab supplies and the operation of departmental equipment.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
All fulltime employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective Day One! The hourly rate you can expect in this Glassware Technician role is based on your experience and skills, however we are targeting $14.00.
YOUR NEXT STEPS!
If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your application by applying here: http://bit.ly/2IoiJ5w
In addition to your resume, provide a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals.
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer