Digital Press Operator
Digital Press Operator: Operate high resolution color Digital printers and proprietary imaging equipment. Program and prepare jobs for printing. Maintain daily print job production logs and daily delivery manifests. Setup, program and release jobs from print queue. Adjust image position, color quality and resolution, perforations and folds on paper, etc. Monitor quality of job output for correctness and image quality.
Requires knowledge of standard set ups, adjustments and operating characteristics of the equipment and skill to perform standard adjustments and operate the equipment. Good knowledge of digital print equipment with ability to set up, operate, and make adjustments to the equipment according to the individual job requirements, operating characteristics, and capabilities of the equipment. Knowledgeable about routine maintenance and upkeep of equipment.
Requires excellent knowledge of digital print and/or ink jet equipment set up, adjustment, operating procedures, and a corresponding level of skill to set up, operate, and adjust the equipment. Able to set up, operate, and adjust the equipment, and in addition, diagnose, solve, and correct operating problems affecting the quality and timeliness of the service or product or function. Good knowledge of file formats for digital print. May instruct junior level operators how to complete the required corrective adjustment. Typically, corrective adjustments performed require the operator to consider the symptom(s), possible causes and remedies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Keep presses fed with paper and ink
- Check Quality on a regular basis
- Basic Maintenance (daily/weekly)
- Startup/shut down of press
- Report problems to the SMO
- Check off batches
- Inform Batcher if anything missing from batch list
- Keep area clean and neat
- Be responsible for tools and materials
- Keep stock and WIP organized and clearly labeled
- Pass color on regular basis
- Scan in targets in timely fashion
- Post targets
- Make minor positioning adjustments
- Attach appropriate documentation
- Place water and imaging oil waste in appropriate receptacles
- Trouble shoot basic problems
- Change PIPs, Blankets, Bids, impression paper
- Monitor the remaining life on consumables, use to full life span if possible while maintaining quality
- Minimum of 3 months experience operating a digital press.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to evaluate and troubleshoot
- Mechanical aptitude, familiarity with basic hand tools
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel for 10-12 hour shifts; reach with hands and arms; and stoop; kneel; or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Working near moving mechanical parts. Moderate noise. Hearing protection recommended.
RR Donnelley is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer