HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Lighting Designer to join our team. As a Lighting Designer, you will be responsible for assisting in the development of lighting design concepts and preparing documents.
- Assists in planning, developing and coordinating integrated interior and exterior architectural lighting design solutions in conjunction with Project Lighting Designer or more senior staff.
- Provides technical support running lighting calculation software.
- Responsible for key design phase services consisting of conceptual work sessions, lighting effect renderings, luminaire selection, lighting systems budget and energy analysis.
- Responsible for documenting phase services including lighting layouts, specifications, details, and lighting calculations.
- Performs submittal reviews, punchlist documentation and luminaire field aiming during the construction phase.
- Ensures the correction and updating of lighting design documents.
- Assists in developing lighting solutions to design problems.
- Assists team leader in ensuring that documentation for all phases conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Provides support to all team members with lighting systems and knowledge.
- Completes projects on schedule and within budgets.
- Independently performs assignments with instructions as to general results expected. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems.
- Provides technical support and project communications to team as required.
- May participate in a small team of designers or technicians developing solutions to technical and design detail problems following established standards.
- Facilitates team internal and external project communications.
- Responsible for tracking electronic project data and files.
- Promotes the principles of sustainable design.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Excellent design, visual and graphic presentation skills.
- Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Proficiency in AGI32 & lighting computational software (AGI32, Elumtools, Radiance).
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Proficiency in Revit/BIM.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling programs (3DMax, Rhino, SketchUp)
- Proficiency in graphic design and image editing software (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Knowledgeable of Sustainable Analysis and Daylighting programs (Ecotect, Daysim, Comfen, DIVA)
- Familiarity with Energy Analysis Software (Comcheck).
- Proficiency in NewForma is preferred.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to build physical models.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, interior design, engineering, or related field plus 5 years of architectural lighting experience.
- Current registered member of IALD, IESNA or other professional lighting memberships preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.