International Admissions Counselor
Assist in the overall implementation of the admissions efforts of the college with direct responsibility for recruiting international students and students living abroad.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- For designated territories, manage the recruiting process by developing communication strategies to guide prospective students and families, participating in organized college tour trips or self-planned trips, contacting prospective students, reading applicant files, conducting foreign credential evaluation, and making admission committee recommendations.
- Establish and maintain an open dialog with prospective and admitted students and their parents; communicating by telephone, e-mail or social media, and sending letters and notes to ensure individual attention.
- Participate in the financial aid process for incoming international students; ensure that appropriate communications are sent to students and that appropriate documentation of financial aid status is maintained and provided. Conduct financial aid review for international students, prepare student files for International Financial Aid Committee meetings and support the Associate Director of International Admissions at these meetings, as needed.
- Perform general student recruiting duties within the Admissions Office by answering telephone calls from students and parents, conducting office visits, meeting with walk-in visitors, and assisting with special events such as Fridays at Calvin, as needed.
- Establish and maintain contact with current Calvin international students and faculty members who travel abroad; provide application and information packets to enable them to effectively recruit new international students.
- Analyze international student enrollment patterns by reviewing current and historical geographic data to identify and develop strategies and contacts for reaching potential students.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of international student issues related to admissions, financial aid and immigration.
This position is responsible for supervising 1-4 student assistants.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in a related field.
- 1-3 years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Self motivation and high energy
- Patience and flexibility are needed.
- Ability to relate to all types of people including those of different race, age or gender
- Ability and desire to understand Calvin College.
- Ability to travel and be alone for long periods of time
- Enthusiastic supporter of Christian higher education and the goals of Calvin College is necessary.
- Related experience in admissions counseling and international admissions/immigration and/or training.
- Proficiency in a foreign language is preferred.
- Previous experience in International Admissions, including grade evaluation, is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid Michigan Driver's license is required. A valid Passport is required
Demonstrated awareness and commitment to effectively establishing relationships and positive communication across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, physical limitations, class, or religious perspectives.
FAITH and EDUCATIONAL COMMITMENT
- Commitment to the educational mission of Calvin University as a Christian liberal arts institution affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church.
- A commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith, learning, and student development.