Research Technician - Laird Lab
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The Laird Laboratory focuses on the role of epigenetics in cancer, combining mechanistic studies in model systems, analysis of human cancer tissues, advanced technology development, and epigenomic data analysis.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance of mammalian cell lines and primary cells
- Animal colony maintenance, genotyping, and tissue harvesting
- Molecular cloning
- Biochemistry techniques (RNA isolation, PCR, Western blotting)
- Flow cytometry
- General lab maintenance
- Bachelor's degree or higher degree in a biological science and a good understanding of cellular & molecular biology.
- 1-3 years of research experience in biochemistry, biophysics and/or molecular/cell biology.
Desired Skills – in addition to an intense curiosity of biology and a willingness to learn new techniques, you should possess at least some of the following:
- Experience with cell culture work, including primary cell culture.
- Experience with molecular biology including: primer design, PCR, analysis of gene expression
- Experience and/or interest in genomic data analysis or bioinformatics
- Experience and/or interest in working with mice
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A “team” focused scientist
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher who thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today.
HOW TO APPLY https://bit.ly/2Gk2cBk
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and driven people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Laird Lab Research.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.